Norm's Farms' Amazing Sweet Potato Casserole
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes in large saucepan, cover with water, and set on high heat to bring to a boil.
- Boil the sweet potatoes until just tender, remove from heat, drain, and allow to cool for 20 minutes or so until the potatoes are cool enough to handle.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Place 4 ounces of Norm’s Farms Elderberry Ginger Pecan Jam into a microwave proof glass bowl and add 2 tablespoons of butter. Microwave on high for 45 seconds, stir, and microwave again for 20 seconds or until jam and butter mixture is thoroughly melted.
- Add jam and butter mixture and grated fresh ginger to sweet potatoes. Using a potato masher or electric blender, mix potatoes, jam, butter and ginger until thoroughly blended.
- Place sweet potato mixture in oven proof casserole
- Place ginger snap cookies in a zip lock bag or between two pieces of wax paper, and using a rolling pin or heavy pan, crush cookies into bite sized pieces. Place cookie crumbs in a bowl.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter and then add to the cookie crumbs; stir with a large spoon until well mixed.
- Top sweet potatoes with ginger snap topping, place in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Many of us consume sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving and/or Christmas as a special holiday side. Given the health benefits of sweet potatoes, you might want to make them a more regular part of your diet. Sweet potatoes are a rich source of fiber, vitamins and minerals including iron, calcium, selenium, vitamins B and C. They are also a great source of an antioxidant known as beta-carotene, which our bodies convert to vitamin A once consumed. Check out the other health benefits associated with sweet potatoes and more great recipes using sweet potatoes in this article from BBC Good Food.