Beet Salad with Elderberry Cranberry Vinaigrette makes a delicious, healthy, and very pretty side dish, although it could easily be the main course. The bold flavors of beets, cranberries, walnuts and shaved Parmesan blend beautifully and make a great compliment to poultry. We plan on serving it at Thanksgiving!
- 1 lb organic beets, tops removed, washed, peeled and cubed in one inch dice
- 1/3 cup cranberries
- 2 T Norm's Farms Elderberry Extract
- 3 T balsamic vinegar
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 T butter
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan
- 2 T chopped parsley
- Place cubed beets in a steamer pan and steam until just tender, about 15 minutes. Remove to a bowl and cool.
- In another pan, combine cranberries, elderberry Extract and one T of sugar, cook over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cranberries pop, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt butter. When butter is melted add walnuts and remaining 1 T of sugar. Stir and cook until walnuts are just beginning to brown. Remove from heat and cool
- Whisk balsamic vinegar and olive oil into cranberry mixture to make vinaigrette. Combine cooled beets with vinaigrette, and place on serving plate. Top with candied walnuts, shaved Parmesan and chopped parsley.