Elderberry Glazed Chicken with Olives and Capers is a riff on the Chicken Marbella recipe found in The Silver Palate cookbook, and is every bit as delicious! Serve it with mashed potatoes and a glaze made from the pan juices if you are after comfort food, or with roasted veggies and a salad if you want something a bit lighter.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping TBSP of Italian Herbs
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives with juice, chopped
- 1/4 cup capers with a bit of juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup Elderberry Jam
- 1 cup white wine
- Early in the day: In a 9x13 Pyrex baking dish combine chicken breasts, garlic, Italian herbs, pepper and coarse salt to taste, vinegar, olive oil, olives, capers and juice, and bay leaves. Cover and let marinate, refrigerated, at least 4 hours, flipping breasts over in marinade several times.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place elderberry jam and wine in a sauce pan and heat over low heat, stirring frequently, until jam is melted and well incorporated into wine. Pour jam/wine mixture over chicken breasts and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with pan juices, and turning breasts over half way through cooking. Chicken is done as soon as the breasts feel firm when you press on them with the back of a fork and have a nice browned appearance.