One Family's Spin on RugelachNanny Cake is a recipe that has been handed down from one generation to the next in Brittany Graham's Family. Brittany is an especially talented dessert chef and has created some amazing treats using our elderberry products, so we are especially excited to have our Elderberry Jam featured in this incredible recipe.
Nanny Cake is credited back 4 generations in Brittany's family to Brittany's great grandmother. Brittany's great grandmother was the family's first generation immigrant to the US and remembers this cake, which she called 'Bubbie Cake' as fondly as Brittany does. Brittany remembers "Growing up, my grandmother, Elly made these cakes for all occasions, including for my cousins' Bat Mitzvah, and it was a cherished dessert at Hanukkah too".
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4-5 cups sifted flour
- 1 Jar Norm's Farms Elderberry Jam
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts We used a rough chop as larger pieces add to the texture
- 1/2 cup of dried fruit of choice. This recipe uses dried blueberries.
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Raw Sugar
- Melted Butter
- Mix eggs, sugar, oil, baking powder, vanilla and orange juice. Add flour 1 cup at a time. The dough will become very thick and can be mixed by hand after adding 3rd cup of flour.
- Divide dough in half and roll each out on top of parchment paper until flat.
- Lightly heat and spread Norm's Farms Elderberry Jam onto the dough leaving a 1/2 inch clean edge. This does not have to be a thin layer, the more jam, the better!
- Add chopped nuts, dried fruit and chocolate chips to your liking.
- Starting from one side, gently roll the dough into a log and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. *Washing hands with cold water and using flour on fingertips will help to keep dough in tact. The parchment paper will help roll.
- Brush roll with melted butter and sprinkle small amount of sugar and cinnamon on top. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes *Baking time may vary but roll should be solid
- Remove from oven and slice into 1 inch slices. Allow roll to cool slightly *5-10 minutes. Place slices back on parchment paper and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side until browned.