Mango Elderberry Upside-Down Cake is a new twist on the pineapple version that was so popular back in the 1920s . Mangoes are coming into season in the tropics now and mango and elderberry are wonderful together. Be sure to use ripe juicy mangoes for this recipe; ripe mangoes will not feel hard to the touch and will also emit a faint but beautiful aroma. The flavors of mango and elderberry compliment this moist cake made with bananas, rum and buttermilk. Delicious from first bite to last!
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons golden rum
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, mashed until smooth
- 2 large or 3 medium mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup Elderberry Ginger Pecan Jam
Preheat oven to 350.
Preheat oven to 350.
- Make the caramel: Heat 1/2 cup sugar and 2 T water in a small saucepan, over high heat, stirring, until the sugar is completely dissolved. Let boil, without stirring, until the liquid is amber in color, swirling the pan occasionally so that the caramel will color evenly. Immediately pour into a 9 inch round cake pan, tilting the pan back and forth to ensure that the bottom of the pan is evenly coated. Set aside.
- Make the batter: Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and remaining cup of sugar in medium bowl and set aside. In another medium sized bowl stir together the buttermilk, oil, rum, egg and yolk, vanilla and mashed banana. Whisk the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir untl well combined.
- Assemble the cake: Arrange the sliced and peeled mangoes on top of the caramel in the cake pan. Heat the Elderberry Ginger Pecan Jam in a small saucepan until liquid, and pour over the mangos. Top with batter and bake for 45-50 minutes until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert cake onto a serving plate. Allow to cool completely before serving.