Cocktail Meatballs are a great appetizer and a welcome pot-luck contribution. Norm's Farms version of Cocktail Meatballs uses home-made chili sauce and our Elderberry Jam to make a spicy-sweet sauce...so good you can't eat just one!
For the Meatballs:
- 1 pound lean grass fed ground beef
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
For the Chili Sauce:
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 jar Elderberry Jam
- In a large bowl combine the ground beef through the black pepper and mix well. Shape into meatballs about 1 inch in diameter. Melt butter in a cast iron skillet and, over medium heat, brown the meatballs in two batches, removing the browned meatballs to a paper towel covered plate to drain.
- While the meat balls are draining make the chili sauce by combining the tomato sauce through the allspice in a small bowl.
- Add the chili sauce and one jar of elderberry jam to the skillet and, over medium heat, stir until the jam is completely melted. Return the meatballs to the pan and simmer until cooked through, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.