Norm's Hot Irish Whiskey
Rodger and I were introduced to Hot Irish Whiskeys during a fantastic vacation we took with our friends, Chris and Cara, to Ireland 10 years ago. Our bed and breakfast host in Sligo, Liam McGettigan, remains one of the nicest and funniest men we have ever met. While we were staying with Liam he invited us to his hunt club to watch the preparations for a fox hunt. It was a cold and rainy day, one of those wet Irish days that chills you to the bone. Liam took pity on us and brought us inside the pub to sit by the peat fire crackling in the fire place and treated us to Hot Irish Whiskeys, too. We warmed quickly and went outside just in time to see the hunt take off. I'll never forget watching the horses clear the stone walls with their riders on top, the dogs weaving and barking, and the sound of the horn as the hunt disappeared in the
distance. It was a once in a lifetime experience! Norm's Hot Irish Whiskey is our version of that great warm libation we enjoyed so many years ago, and it too also works wonders for warming you from the inside out. It's our go to drink after a chilly hike in the woods or to sip around the campfire on a winter night. The following recipe makes two drinks...because who wants to drink alone?
- Place Lemon Lift Tea Bag in a Pyrex 2 cup measuring cup, add 12 ounces boiling water and allow to steep for 1-2 minutes
- While the tea is steeping, place one tablespoon (1/2 ounce) of Norm's Farms Elderflower Syrup in the bottom of each mug
- Stick two cloves into each lemon slice, next to where the rind meets the pulp, and place the clove studded lemon slice in the bottom of each mug
- Pour 1 and 1/2 ounces of Jameson Whiskey into each mug.
- Top each mug with 6 ounces of hot lemon tea
- Serve immediately!
You can vary the taste of this drink by changing the kind of tea you make with it. Try STASH Ginger Lemon Green Tea, chamomile tea, plain green tea, or even plain hot water for great tasting variations.